26 May 2014

Flightless Bird, American Mouth


Iron & Wine - Flightless Bird, American Mouth

I was an innocent child who believed he had all the answers.
I was superficial, searching for all the wrong things that I thought would bring happiness.
Everyone wanted a piece of what I believed was really me.
All they really wanted was to benefit from the person I blindly thought myself to be.

When I realized my own delusion of myself, and who I am,
I began to change into the person I truly am, the person I want to be, the person I've always been, but couldn't see through the eyes of my own unawareness.
Confused, I sought a way to make sense of my confusion, my pain.
Desperately, I clung to anything to help confirm who I am. I wanted all this pain to be just in my mind, not real.

Am I the me I think I am?
I don't have that internal strength I need. I'm jealous of blissful ignorance. It is better to not have to deal with my demons. And this is so hard to come to terms with - who I thought I was versus who I really am.
Did I lose myself?
I can lose myself so easily.
All it takes is a crutch to ease this pain.

This pain is endless, my safety exists only when I'm alone in my safe place.
I enable my self-pity.
But can't ignore it forever. I know that I can't forever hide, but the temptation is so inviting to forget the pain away.
The pain always creeps back in.
It ruins everything I know isn't, but want to believe, is true.
I try to forget, so many ways, any way to make me believe
I am masking my hurt away, using a pleasant veil so maybe they will believe. Then maybe I can, too.

Am I the me I think I am?
I don't have the strength to fight it anymore. I'm aware, but the awareness is so painful.
But maybe I can just lose myself, one more temporarily gratifying time.
All it takes is a crutch to ease this pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment